Thursday, February 14, 2008

Eulogy for Grandma (delivered on Feb 11, 2008)

Something for Grandma

The impact of what my grandma had on the people she touched will never been known in this life. In fact, we won’t know until her life is tested before God.

But what I do know is this; she was a hero to my mom, and to me.

To see the relationship my mom had with her was enough for me to desire that same relationship with my mom. They were like two peas in a pod. My grandma was what made my mom tick, and was what caused her to love my brother and me more.

To see how she was humble enough to let her kids take care of her when she was in her greatest despair, and then turn around and give out of her lack.

She was a true lover of her family. She was by no means a perfect woman, but even in her imperfections she did well.

My Grandma was a fun lady, had a great sense of humor and she was dear to my heart. Having her as my grandma was a special honor that I did not deserve, but I thank God for that blessing she was in my life.

I remember in my teens we would sit and play cards for hours on in, she loved cards, and she would always challenge me on how I would carry myself and the way I would speak because she knew what kind of world waited for me and what kind of man I needed to be. She wanted what was best for me and she knew that it started with me.

She always assured me that she was very proud of me and we would talk about what I was doing with my life and she always had great encouraging words to say that only made me want to live a life that would be honoring. Not only honoring to her and my mom, but also honoring to the Lord.

Even when she was hospitalized she always made sure that our conversations were not about her condition, but what I was making of my life. She loved me and I knew it. She loved all of us, her kids and her grandkids and great grandkids.

But all of her struggles over the past seven years really strengthened her spirit and prepared her for where she is at now.

I want to read something to comfort you all with from the Word of God.

1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
13But we do not want you to be uninformed, brethren, about those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve as do the rest who have no hope.
14For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep in Jesus.
15For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep.
16For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.
17Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord.
18Therefore comfort one another with these words.

Even though her body lies her today, her spirit doesn’t. Even though her body is dead, Grandma lives on. She put her faith in the only one who can give life. She put her faith in Jesus Christ for her salvation, and it was Christ and Christ alone for it was Christ who said that He came to give life and give it more abundantly.

Over the past two years she and I would talk about life, death, and what comes next. I would talk with her about Christ and His saving work and she always reminded me, “Honey, I believe that.”

Grandma was at peace with her death because she knew what Paul was saying in 2 Corinthians 5:6-8 that it is better to absent from the body and to be at home with the Lord, and because scripture comforts us with this, I am at peace also.

Psalm 116:15
“Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints.”

As we all know that funerals are not for the deceased, but for the living.

So it would be fitting to share with you what her and I talked about, and I know that’s what she would want from me.

Psalm 90:12
Teach us, O Lord, to number our days, that we may present to You a heart of wisdom.

Soon one day we will all taste this death that grandma tasted, but not all of us will live on. Scripture tells of a great hope for those who accept the gift of eternal life through Jesus Christ and Christ alone, and tells of a horror story of those who reject the precious gift that He gives.

For we all are deserving of the horror story, namely hell, because we have not lived up to the standard of perfection, we have not loved God perfectly. But God being rich in mercy shed His grace through Jesus Christ His son to make us perfect, because God knows that we are not able to attain perfection, He made a way for us to be.

Christ died a sinner’s death while the sinner is able to live a perfect life, even though imperfect. Christ perfect life is credited to those who will accept it, repent of their sins, trust Him for their salvation, and once He rose from the dead conquering death, those who trust Him will never taste the horrible story, never taste the pit of hell away from the presence of God.

And that’s what my grandma did. She trusted in the perfection of Christ to give her life, and not trusting in her own good works, for no one is good. She found hope, she found peace, and now she is experiencing the greatest joy beyond human imagination.

She is at home with the One who died her death; she is at home with Christ her God. She suffers no longer in the flesh, but blissfully reigns with Him on high, making the most of Him and loving Him perfectly.

Now I know that she would want that for all of you, and my prayer is that you will one day taste what she is living now.

I will see my Grandma again, I am confident of that. Christ is the ruler and sustainer of my life and I have a hope to worship Christ perfectly standing next to her.

I hope you will do the same.

No comments: